Thursday, September 27, 2007

Making birthday cake

So my child turn 3 last week and I decided to be a good mom and make the birthday cake from scratch. Since there would be 2 parties, one at the daycare and one at a playground with close friends, I had to make 2 of them. In order to make a cake, I found this little book with ideas for kids birthday parties and I picked the one that looked more fun and easy, "The Mountain candy cake", which was a cake covered in gum balls, very colorful and fun! So I went to a specialty store and bought all the tools you need to decorate a cake, a big cake pan and lots of sugar, eggs, flour, butter sticks and lot and lots of icing!
So on her birthday I made the cake for the daycare. I made it with whole grain flour which was a big mistake as the cake didn't raise, was very heavy and was not white. I followed the recipe for the icing and didn't come out sticky at all so I couldn't do the decoration like the picture on the book. And then I came up with my version of the cake. My child wanted a Diego cake and not a candy mountain, so I made the Diego cake with some gum balls. Ta-taaa, here it is:



Kids at daycare called it "Diego party" instead of Birthday Party :) Not bad as a first cake! Now I had to make another cake for more people and some of them adults, so the quality had to be better. So my husband and I decided to make it with layer of chocolate and vanilla. He made the chocolate layer and I made the vanilla one. Then we made 2 big batches of icing to cover all these layers and then we had to make the decoration, of course with Diego again! After all this, I had the second cake made from scratch and look like this:



At the playground, there were a lot of other birthdays going on but they declared our cake "the hugest cake of the day"!
So, I did check one more thing off the list of the things to be a mom, - Able to make birthday cake from scratch!

No comments: