Monday, May 19, 2008

Kite runner


A friend of mine has been telling me for a long time to read this book. I value his opinion on these matters so I would have read this book but lately I haven't had any chance to read anything that is not related to my work and the project I am working on like a donkey. Browsing the TV tonight, I found that this movie was showing. Didn't catch it from beginning but was early enough for the story to make sense and be linked. At the end, I give two thumbs up. Wonderful story, one of those that stay with you, in your mind late after the movie is over and you are confused with a couple of bright-colorful-happy advertisements about good products being sold in North America. Is a powerful story that, although I am not from that part of the World, I understand how it works and what is respected, by choice or not. It is refreshing to read how life is seen from that side of the fence. All we hear is the story that media gives to us. Can be American media or European one, it doesn't matter. The voice of the people from Afghanistan is rarely heard and taken seriously. Even the guy that helped him from Pakistan, represents a whole country that is not taken with respect and right attention. It is almost as calling someone mother f@#&^$ if you call them Paki, and yet again, he was human and put himself in trouble. One other thing that this movie brings is the way the new generation of the people from these countries, is changing and how they are looking at things with more tolerance. The old generation represented by their parents at the end of the movie falls down, all that "Keep your head up", "Don't embarrass the family", "Respect older man".... all these big words and "lessons for life", are all a big bubble that is not what it seems. The new generation is between these "rules" put in front of them from their families and the other open-kind of life seen around them from other people in North America.

No comments: