Friday, November 9, 2007

3 is the new 2

Oh the pressure! All my friends are having their second kids and I'm behind!!! In the last month I have called 3 friends and they very happily have told me they are pregnant with the second child. My birthday just passed and everybody wished me another child. When i talk with the moms that have 2 small children, none of them is sane. One of them was complaining about some other moms she meets in a moms-get-together-thingy place, where a lot of mom in their 40-s, well set financially and professionally (that's why they have had the children so late!), tell her that she must have another child because "three is the new two"!
The only thing these moms are happy about, is the fact that they are on the way of having the children out of diapers. And I haven't started yet... so they put some more pressure on me about that.
The last one that told me was expecting a child, is this ex-student of mine, 8 years younger than me. He already has one child and now he said "I passed you :)", and all I could say was "I wasn't racing!!".
What is the problem with the world?! Why do you have to follow patterns or otherwise you will be reminded that you are behind with the plan?! These are the steps you have to follow in order to be not bothered
1- finish school, better a Master degree
2- get married in your 20-s
3- have one child and look happy
4- have the second child and keep looking happy
5- somewhere in between, make carrier
6- start pushing your children with bullet one and continue in order

I know I want another child just for the sake of the first one, but I will start on my own time. Why people want me to have another child but no one offers any help around. Why no one wishes me more help, more peace, more sanity and more time for ME!
No one asked me what did I do on my birthday... but here is what i did:
1- my daughter in the morning didn't sing happy birthday to me because there was no cake around
2- I took the day of from work so I could enjoy my birthday but my manager asked me to take it as a day of from my vacation
3- my husband expected me to keep the child at home since I didn't go to work. But I didn't, I sent her to daycare just like any other day. He made sure to bring it out of his chest as the next day when I was buckling her up in the car seat and the strap was not set properly, he said 'at least pretend that you care about your child'!
4-I spent some time taking care of myself, just like a woman should do often, you know, waxing, facial, shopping for nice clothes. And that was the best time of my day.
5-I felt guilty and I took my child early from daycare and with here I went to buy a cake for myself. We picked the cake she liked. Later that night, when there was a lit candle on the cake, she made sure she was the one to blow up the candle but finally she did sing happy birthday to mommy!

And now I have to have another child because "I'm late with the plan". I do not know about the other couples but I am not ready mentally to have another child. Work load does not help but I do not want to be left behind with my work and my finances. I wish I was doing better with my carrier and make steps but for now just working the load. I don't know how the other do it, seriously! What am I doing wrong or not doing at all that I am not like them? I am not stepping up with carrier ,I am not having the second child.. oh, and my weight is not going down after all the care that I try to take... I better make a good list of objectives for the next year as this one didn't bring more than failures until now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take it easy and enjoy life at your own pace. There are plenty of one child families out there (in fact a whole country springs to mind - China).

There are already enough rules in this world for you to be bothered by social norms.

ps. sorry I missed your birthday ! I shall have an extra drink in your honour tonight. :)