Monday, December 6, 2010

Skip the preset

When I got my new car, one of the nice things was to preset 10 radio channels to a dial pad. When I drive, it's easy to browse through my 10 favorite radio channels and one of them will be singing a nice song that I will like and will make me stop browsing for a while. Just like that, without thinking too much, I have preset my radio choises to 10 and I keep going in loop until one of them is playing something pleasant. One day, I couldn't find anything I liked on all 10 of them, so I started browing outside of the presets. My radio can reach up to 30 channels or so, and the simple math tells me that I had limited myself to 1/3 of the options I had. I was able to find something I liked to listen to, and that made me think.



Just like when we are born, parents and society tells us what is right and wrong, we create a list of presets in our mind and we are raised to move in loop through those presets, until one of them will make sense and answer our questions. If only we try to get out of these presets on our mind, we will see how many other options are there for us. Just like with my radio channels, we could be anaware of the 2/3 of our options.

No comments: