Wednesday, March 14, 2012

March Break in job hunting season

Back to looking for a job. The last place turned out to be a very slave-drive mentality, absolutely no people management skills from anyone. I was planning to stay a little longer and do some self-improvement things like read to take a certificate, give my resume 1 year at one place and so on. But at the end they closed the loop and managed to squeeze a small package. Off course I am pissed off with my manager but at the end, it was probably a favour he made me by letting me out of that place. Everyone around me is telling me that I wasn't happy since I had started there.
So, now I am back into selling myself! What do you do when you want to sell yourself? Prep your resume, go meet recruiters, apply to every possible job you see online that is related to what you are looking, stay positive and happy, and repeat all of this from Monday to Friday. When you are looking for a job, the Friday comes very quickly. You wish people would be working during weekends too. I read somewhere that it is not a good idea to apply on a job or send an email to a recruiter during weekend, because they forget about it when Monday comes and they sit in front of the computer, to respond or follow up. Got some ideas from some of the recruiters. Some are very formal, some are more down to earth, some are un-readable and you have to try to understand what is bothering them while talking with you. Some are young and naive, some are experienced and smooth, some are young and experienced but working under sharks, some are part of teams, some are individuals. After meeting with everyone of them I think "Do they need more clients or more customers?". Clearly, some need more companies that trust them for recruiting. Some might be well plugged but they do not have enough candidates for what they want to fill. And then, there are some recruiters that post "filler jobs". This really pisses me off. These are jobs that request everything I can do, but these are not real jobs. These are jobs to make people apply and so the recruiting company has you on the profile and will check with you when they have something similar from a real company.
On top of all these, I have to do my part as well. Whatever I see posted on job sites, I go for it. I am contacted by recruiters that I have no idea how they found me but they give me right away a job description for a real company and ask me to apply for it if I am interested. Cool!
So on the first 2 weeks, I have left home just like I was going to work and been out to meet people, library, searching online or reading books. One of the reasons to make me do this is the fact that my parents are here with me right now. I have a lot to take care on my own, I really do not want my mom to hear that I am not working right now and make things even more stressful and un-bearable to be at home. I just can't handle more tragedy and her sense of extreme negativity on me. She loves me, I never doubt that, but she is just my opposite in personality and optimism in life.
Everyone tells me that I should take some time off and enjoy myself before start looking for a job. I knew March break was ahead so I thought that might be the time to take some time off. Of course can't really take a lot of time off and go somewhere since I am constantly on emails or phone with people, but I can do things around the house. The weather has been just gorgeous, like it was ordered for this week. One day went to a park, walked a lot in the middle of trees. Glad we didn't face a bear, not many people around to help... somehow... because in front of a bear, everyone would try to figure out a way to save themselves.
One day we went to Bata Museum of Shoes. Now, I know it sounds like I am taking my daughter and teach here the ropes with shoes and shopping. It is not like that at all. It was quite nice and they had a lot of activities for kids. We ended up enjoying some of the arts and crafts tables they had prepare in different pavilions of the museum. What made my run out, was that they had put there Justin Bieber's shoes.. right beside Elvis Priestly's and John Lennon shoes!!!
A couple of days left from March break but I am enjoying it. I wish I knew a job was waiting for me right after this, I would enjoy it even more.
Well, stay tuned! And enjoy the summer! First day of summer today, 3.14 (pi) day was good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're an intelligent woman - just like last time, you will bounce back. And just like last time, March is good time to job hunt, as a lot of recruitment budgets take off in April. Trust me from experience - July is dead in Ontario for job hunting....everyone is getting drunk at cottage.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you...

atidra said...

Thank you :)) I guess I should feel good about this now :))

Anonymous said...

Interesting. T. L. P.

atidra said...

What?